THE ABC OF ARCHITECHTS
We aimed to create a a short, simple and fun piece that combined our repective passions of graphic design and architecture and that would appeal to everyone, regardless of language, nationality or age.
Our first and main motivation was to keep it visually simple but powerful by iconising the most outstanding buildings in the world. We began by making a list of “the unquestionable”, architects who laid the foundations of modern architecture: Le Corbusier, Mies Van Der Rohe, Oscar Niemeyer, Louis Kahn, Philip Johnson, Frank Lloyd Wright. The first problem we encountered was that the list was too long, so we had to find a system for narrowing it down. This is how we came up with the idea of creating an alphabetical list, and thus limiting our selection to 26 architects and their respective buildings, achieving this way the initial simplicity and brevity we had hoped for.
During our search we also made some wonderful and unexpected discoveries like the Greek architect, engineer and composer Iannis Xenakis, who designed the Philips Pavilion, which was inspired by the sheet music of one of his musical compositions. Interestingly, he was also Le Corbusier’s engineer.
It has participated in many exhibitions and festivals like:
• Richard Rogers RA: Inside Out in the Royal Academy of Arts in London, an exposition organized by Richard Rogers’ studio to celebrate the eighty years of the architect.
• Modesto International Architecture Festival: From 14th to 22nd of September 2013.
• Architecture and Design film Festival: From 16th to 20th of October 2013 in New york.
• New Urbanism Film Festival: November 7th- 10th, 2013, Los Angeles.
• Festival international du livre d’art & du film: From 25th to 30th of June, 2014, Perpignan, France.
• Architecture + Design festival: April 30th – May 4th, 2014, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
• FIAC: 23-26 October, 2014, Grand Palais, Paris, France.
Has been published at:
• The Guardian on cities section.
• Dezeen magazine